SOCIAL MEDIA

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The Place of Contentment


Contentment: Content; a resting or satisfaction of mind without disquiet (disturbance)
Content: Literally, held, contained within limits; hence, quiet; not disturbed; having a mind at peace; easy; satisfied, so as not to repine, object, or oppose

For the past few months, the LORD has been teaching, or I should say re-teaching, me a very difficult lesson: contentment.
This is one area of life I have never exceled in. I think I have learned it one day, and them BAM! I’m hit with a new wave of disturbance.

Like when I first graduated high school, and I drifted and was unsure of where GOD was leading my life. HE eventually led me to stay at home daughter hood, daily helping my family around their homestead, and preparing for the day I would have a home of my own.

I was happy when GOD showed that destination. But before long, I began to feel a wave of doubt, in thinking what I was doing was not worthwhile. After sometime, I had to come to a certain place. I was where HE wanted me, and I had to be satisfied in that place.
And I was satisfied in that.

A couple years pass, and the biggest wave approached. I was beginning to feel I would never be married, never have a house of my own, and that greatly disquieted my soul. I had to be brought to the place where Christ was my only love, and ONLY HE could satisfy my longings. And slowly, I came to that place.

HE was my only longing.

Fast forward another year, and I became engaged to my one true love. I was on cloud nine, flying across the sky, with new hopes and dreams. I was marrying the man of my dreams. Everything will be perfect!

I had great peace of mind.

Four months later, I said “I Do” and forever, to the one GOD made for me. And for a few months, I began to drift away from my first love, I felt like that man was solely what I needed.

But as with each of the above stories, I became dissatisfied. I was being brought to another place. The place where I knew I needed to love my husband, but know that only Christ could truly satisfy my deepest longings.

I felt easy.

The past two months, I have not felt so easy. I have felt that familiar wave of longing and desire for more. A desire to travel, have a baby, make new friends, have a larger house...

I have felt uneasy, opposed, disturbed, repined, and down -right disquieted! And how wrong it is I feel this way!

GOD has blessed me with so much in this season of life!
I have a husband who loves me dearly.
We are able to spend a lot of time alone, continuing to get to know one another, before GOD blesses us with children.
We have a beautiful little house. No we don’t own it, but it’s a roof over our heads until we do own one.
We have chickens, and a little garden of our own at my parents house.

We are both have fairly good health.

Why have I been so unhappy? Because I have begun to let my eyes wander, and long for what others have.
I look at others around me, and begin to think my life isn’t so grand, I want what they have. I’ve once again, forgotten my first love, and longed for more.

That’s not contentment. And being content is what we are called to be in Christ.

2 Corinthians 12:9 “And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee:”

GOD and HIS grace is all we need in our lives.

Not money.
Not land.
Not children.
Not houses.

Only until we come to the point HE is enough, will we EVER be truly satisfied.

Slowly, but surely, I am coming to this place. Again.
I know Christ is the ONLY one who can satisfy my longings, and provide my deepest desires.

Yes. Once again, I am coming to this place.

Hopefully, I will stay here, for a LONG time.

Oh, why HE puts up with me, I’ll never know. I guess it’s because of that crazy little thing called love. And I am so thankful for it. :)

Hebrews 13:5 - Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
Ecclesiastes 6:9 - Better is the sight of the eyes than the wandering of the desire: this is also vanity and vexation of spirit.
Philippians 4:6- Be careful for nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

Have a wonderfully blessed day everyone! Thanks for stopping by!
Angel

3 comments :

  1. What a convicting post, Angel, and thank you for being so honest about your struggles ... as you've seen in the years we've been friends, contentment isn't my strong suit either (I would venture to suggest that it's tough for a lot of Christians), but I'll admit to never having worked on it very hard. I'm inspired by your example, and I want to do better!! :-)

    Hugs!
    Vici

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a lot in common! I really enjoyed this post and saw my own thoughts and feelings written on your very post! I will be praying for you as I pray for myself on this matter.....it is a daily struggle for me.

    Have a great weekend,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing this. It was JUST what I needed to hear today!

    ReplyDelete

Well hello there! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE to hear from you all out there. Just please remember to keep everything kind and Christ-like. In the words of that wise papa rabbit, "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all". :)