SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Devotions As A Mama


I remember my devotions in my pre mom days. I am sure some of you do too.

Those days where you would slowly wake up, grab that beautiful steaming mug of happiness, climb into your old worn in comfy chair, and snuggle with a plush blanket.

And you would be able to just sit there in your spotless living room, with perhaps a candle burning, filling your nostrils with the beautiful aroma of vanilla or pumpkin. You would feel completely and mentally alert and be able to comprehend what you are reading.

And you would be able to sit there for an entire 20 minutes, just resting in the goodness of your Savior.

Le sigh...

Devotions in mine and your mama days. Well, they tend to look a tad bit different...

You don't typically wake up early, cause your sweet one might be teething and waking you up all hours of the night.

And you don't crawl into your comfy chair and snuggle with a hot drink, candle, and blanket. Cause that precious babe insists on crawling into your lap to sit or show you all his trucks. And toddlers and hot coffee don't mix well...

So you wait until your little one is mostly occupied, and you light your candle, brew a hot mug, and sit at your kitchen table that is piled with mail, and bills to go out.

And you open your book and Bible and low and behold, someone is suddenly on the verge of starvation.

 Even after eating his body weight in grapes 20 minutes before...

So you stop. Walk to the freezer, and then pop a waffle into the toaster. You wait on said waffle and plop your little one into his high chair, and try to reassure him he will not starve in the 3 minutes it takes for the waffle to warm up.

The waffle pops up, you put some syrup on it, cut it up, and put the tiny pieces onto the tray, for the "starving" toddler to eat.


Surely now you can sit and get some time with your Savior in. Right?

Wrong.

The toddler decides he needs your attention, and proceeds to continuously yell "Mama! Mama! Mama!".

So you look at said toddler and he just smiles at you. And your heart melts into a puddle of love once more. Cause how could you possibly be more blessed than you are right in that moment?



You have a baby, you have a candle burning, you have coffee, you even have your Bible open and at the ready for the right moment.

GOD is SOOOO... good!

So you decide to stop, and wait until your precious little bundle goes down for his nap. Because, lets face it. Something WILL come up in that exact moment you begin to read.

And then you put him down for his nap. You quickly dart back into the kitchen like a flash, cause you only have 1 hour and 15 minutes to conquer the world.

And as soon as you sit down, it hits you like a ton of bricks.

Exhaustion.

You begin an attempt at reading that passage that has been sitting there for hours, and try as hard as you might, ya just cant for the life of you understand what on earth you just read.

Your mind has completely shut down.

And you know that by then, that it is completely useless to try any longer.

So you ask the LORDs forgiveness, say you WILL be back, and head straight for a nap.

I used to let scenarios like this upset me as a new mom. But now I accept them.

It is only a season in my life. Eventually I will have all the time and mental energy in this world to sit at the feet of my LORD.

But that is not the case right now. And that it okay. Because I know that I am doing EXACTLY what the LORD has called me to do, right in this moment.



Its okay to just read one or two verses in the magical 2 minutes you have free. I don't have to have a full uninterrupted 20 minutes every day.

So long as I am continuing in prayer daily, and at least trying to commune with HIM first thing, the LORD understands my situation right now.

HE led me here to this life. And HE will offer the rest and peace I need in HIM, exactly when it is needed. :)

"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."
Matthew 11:28
 
How about you?
 
Are you in a season where you can experience lots of uninterrupted time with the LORD? Or are you in a season where you have to get it when you can, even if it is just a little bit at a time?
 
Have a wonderfully blessed day everyone! Thanks for stopping by!
Angel

2 comments :

  1. I chuckled through this because it is all too true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, that's me too! The earlier I get up, the earlier my kids wake up! But God sees everything (all the 'distractions'and all our efforts and our desire to have quiet time) and understands. Congrats on your new pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete

Well hello there! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE to hear from you all out there. Just please remember to keep everything kind and Christ-like. In the words of that wise papa rabbit, "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all". :)