SOCIAL MEDIA

Saturday, March 30, 2019

What I Packed In My Hospital Bag For My Second Baby's Birth

Last November, I planned on writing a post on here about what I was planning on packing in my hospital bag for the birth of my second baby. In the hustle and bustle of nesting, and his arrival coming right in the middle of the busy holiday season, I was never able to get around to writting out this post.

And I really wanted to, as I found it so incredibly helpful while I was packing to go onto Youtube, or read others blogs on what they found useful for their stay.

So I did a poll recently on my Instagram stories, trying to gauge if there was an interest in that still, and surprisingly there was. And since I am in the midst of spring cleaning, and finally getting around to putting some of that stuff into storage, now would be the perfect time to share.

Note. Some of these items are not specifically for a birth. Some of these items are great for any stay in a hospital.

Also, I had my bag packed by 38 weeks for a spontaneous labor and delivery. But I ended up needing a medically necessary induction. But having my backs packed and ready to go, made the day go so much smoother.

Comfort Items



~Pillow- I sleep better with my own pillow I am used to.
~Childhood Teddy Bear- This bear goes with me anywhere I travel to. And I may or may not sleep with him every night still...
~Stuffed Peacock Justin had given me for Christmas
~New Throw Blanket- I went to Target and purchased a new throw blanket for not only the hospital stay, but to use on our bed after. I threw this on top of the hospital bed blankets to make the bed feel more comforting, as you spend most of a hospital stay in the bed.


Toiletries:
Note: I went and purchased all new and travel size toiletries and put them in my toiletry bag, placed in my big duffel bag.



~Shampoo and Conditioner
~Toothbrush and Toothpaste
~Contact Solution and Case
~Extra Pair of Contacts
~Chapstick
~Hair Ties
~Bobby Pins
~Hair Wraps
~Body Wash- I went to Whole Foods and purchased a body wash that I would not normally get. It was nice to have a special wash for that first shower after labor and delivery. And what is special now when it is used, is that the scent takes me back to that first shower, and the first day of my second baby's life.
~Lotion- I did the same as with the body wash. I chose something I had not used before, so it would be a special treat during those first days. Cause lets face it. You don't always really feel pretty and nice after the rigors of birth.



~Makeup- I grabbed my makeup bag before I headed to the hospital bag. I ended up only wearing mascara while I was there the whole time. Ya'll.  I just cant go without my mascara.
~Brush
~Hairdryer
~Hairspray

Clothing:
Note: Most hospitals will allow you to wear your own clothing. I took full advantage of that fact. I CANNOT stand hospital gowns.



~Labor and Delivery Gown- I purchased a "Baby Be Mine" gown on Amazon. But I knew that more than likely it would not be used long, if this birth ended up like the first. Where I lost ALL sense of modesty. And that did happen. But it was great for the first part of the induction, where I was not in active labor, and needed the electronic fetal monitoring. Because it gave easy access to the nurse for that.
~Maternity/Nursing Sleep Bra- That was what I actually went through and finished active labor in.
~Night Gown- I wanted a nightgown for easy nursing access, and was comfy and pretty for after my first shower. And Amazon had a really cheap and nice one just for that.
~Shorts and Shirt PJ Set- I found a really nice set at Victoria's Secret on Black Friday. They had a BOGO sale going on. I loved the idea of shorts to keep me cool. During the postpartum period, I have TERRIBLE nightsweats. So shorts made it really nice to help control the temperature.
~House Slippers- I love slippers for hospital stays as you can take them on and off easily as you get in and out of bed. I only had socks in my first hospital stay and hated having to bend over and take them off when I got in and out of bed. Cause there was no way those germy things were touching my sheets.



~ Going Home Outfit- I wore the same black leggings that I came to the hospital in. And packed a nicer oversized sweater to wear with them. And I just wore the same tennis shoes I went to the hospital in.
~Socks- Did not end up wearing any
~Nursing Bras- Only Wore upon arrival and on the way home
~Robe- I only wore it while being transferred from the delivery room to the mother/baby room.
~Jewelry- I packed several pairs of earrings. But only ended up wearing what I had on upon arrival my entire stay. My tried and true pearls.

Food:
Note: I went to Trader Joes and stocked up on our favorite snacks, and placed them in a huge gallon ziplok bag.

~Nuts
~Granola Bars
~Honey Sticks- These are really great for a quick labor energy boost. And to help coat a sore throat after grunting and groaning for hours...
~ Candy- Who doesn't need a big bag of M&M's post delivery

Baby Items:



~Receiving Blankets
~Swaddles for first photos
~3 Sleepers
~ Diapers
~ Wipes

Other:

~Essential Oil Diffuser and Oils- I took this at the suggestion of my doula. Hospital smells tend to give me cancer related PTSD symptoms. The diffuser helped tremendously in combating that.
~Handheld Nightlight- This was by far the best item packed. At our hospital, you cannot turn the lights on or off from the bed. So you have to get up or have someone turn them on if needed. Which is irritating while night nursing. Plus they are only those bright overhead lights. The nighlight made it so much more convenient during that first night of cluster feeding. Plus, we still use this nightlight for night time nursing even now.



~Birth Plan
~Wallet and ID's
~Cellphone and charger
~Laptop
~Earbuds- Did not use
~Camera
~Extra SD card
~Trash Bags- Used to keep dirty clothing in
~Gallon Ziplok- For the placenta
~Small Cooler- To fill with ice and transport that beautiful placenta home for encapsulation.

And that is it!

If you want to see some of the items more in depth, I will have them posted in my Instagram stories, and highlighted in my profile for future reference.

What do you pack in your hospital bag? Anything unique and special to make your stay easier? I would love to hear and keep it in mind for the future!

Have a wonderfully blessed day everyone! Thanks for stopping by!
Angel

Post a Comment

Well hello there! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE to hear from you all out there. Just please remember to keep everything kind and Christ-like. In the words of that wise papa rabbit, "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all". :)